about Shelby County Probate Court
general information
probate form tutorials
birth correction
birth registration
civil commitment
civil proceedings
custodial accounts
delivery of minor funds
declaration of paternity
estate administration
name change
will deposit
marriage licenses
court records
local rules


Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health

The following are common questions that have often been posed to our office:

My loved one is an alcoholic or a drug addict. Can I probate them? back to top

Please visit the Supreme Court of Ohio website for forms for Involuntary Treatment for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse effective July 1, 2016 - CLICK HERE

What other options are there for having a person evaluated? back to top

A case manager or support caseworker from one of the following agencies may be able to assist or offer further suggestions or recommendations.

Shelby County Counseling Center
1101 N. Vandemark Rd.
Sidney, OH 45365
Tel. 937-492-8080

Wilson Health
Behavioral Health Unit (GERIATRIC PATIENTS ONLY)
915 W. Michigan Street
Sidney, Ohio 45365
Tel. (937) 498-2311

What if the alleged mentally ill or mentally retarded individual has private insurance? back to top

We recommend that the insurance company be contacted prior to beginning this process. The Court will have to know what hospitals in surrounding counties the person is authorized to go to for a psychiatric admission. The only facility that is available in Shelby County is the Wilson Memorial Hospital Behavioral Health Unit, which is strictly for geriatric patients only.

Who will transport to the hospital? back to top

If the Court accepts the Affidavit and transportation is necessary, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Department will attempt to transport the alleged mentally ill or mentally retarded individual to the hospital.

Do I need an attorney to complete this process? back to top

Court personnel are not permitted to assist you on which forms needs to be completed, or how they are to be completed. Therefore, if you are uncomfortable proceeding any further in the matter, you are strongly advised to contact an attorney for assistance.

Can I complete this process at home? back to top

The only part of the process that can be completed outside of the Court is completing the preliminary paperwork. The affidavit must be completed in the presence of court personnel or a notary public, so the person completing the affidavit can be sworn in.