about Shelby County Probate Court
general information
probate form tutorials
birth correction
birth registration
civil commitment
civil proceedings
custodial accounts
delivery of minor funds
declaration of paternity
estate administration
name change
will deposit
marriage licenses
court records
local rules


Frequently Asked Questions About Name Change

 The following are common questions that have often been posed to our office:

What are the Requirements for Changing a Name? back to top

A person desiring to change his or her name must be a resident of the county for at least one year prior to the filing of an application.

Where do I File a Change of Name? back to top

Applications must be filed in the probate court in the county in which the applicant resides.

What is the Procedure for Changing a Name? back to top

  1. Obtain appropriate forms from probate court. Complete the forms and file with the probate court and pay court costs. At the time of filing, a hearing date is assigned.
  2. The Court will place the required legal ad in a paper of general circulation in Shelby County at least thirty (30) days prior to the hearing. Proof of such publication will be sent to the Court by the newspaper, along with a bill for the publication costs. You must pay those costs in full on the day of the hearing.
  3. A copy of the birth certificate shall be presented to the probate court with the application.

If the court is satisfied that reasonable and proper cause exists for the change of name, the court will approve the change of name at the hearing in the absence of fraud or other misrepresentation by the applicant.

How Does One File an Application On Behalf of a Minor? back to top

When the application is made on behalf of a minor under eighteen (18) years of age, the application must be made by one of the natural parents, legal guardian, or guardian ad litem. The consent of both living legal parents in writing must be filed with the application. Failure to obtain consent will necessitate a formal hearing with notice sent by the Court to the non-consenting parent by certified mail. Proof of service must be later filed with the Court.

How Do I Correct Records After the Court Hearing ? back to top

Where the applicant seeking a legal change of name was born in the State of Ohio, the Court will send a certified copy of the probate court order legally changing his or her name to the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics. The applicant must then send a request to Vital Statistics for a certified copy of his/her birth certificate. The applicant will receive an amendment to the certificate containing the new name and a statement that their records have been corrected.

What Forms Will I Need? back to top

Application forms for change of names, registering and correcting birth certificates may be obtained from the Probate Court.

Click here to access forms to Change the Name of an Adult

Click here to access forms to Change the Name of a Minor

What are the Costs of Changing a Name? back to top

The following is a list of present ordinary costs. It is recommended that the cost be verified before submitting any payment

Copy of birth certificate from the Department of Health $21.50

Application to change name is currently a required deposit of $200.00 plus publication costs due in excess of deposit and any additional final court costs. Please call the Probate Clerk’s Office to confirm the current deposit amount.